1.02.2012

Food.

So.. this is the year I am re-embracing my ability to cook. I guess you could say I was being rather stupid. I think I put the thought of me cooking on the back burner because I felt a bit too domestic. I felt like I had no one to share this passion with.

Wow was I wrong.  In the few days I have already realized that it brings people together. I even have a date on Thursday. It is helping bring the joy back into my life. I have re-claimed something that makes me happy. I guess I had been thinking 'oh someone else can do this better than me, so why try'. There is always going to be someone better at cooking then me (duh! my mom of course). All I can do is better myself at this game. I have already made two very interesting dishes. Not sure if someone else out there has made them. If so(or not) I hope that I can either cover your naked plates or just inspire some kind of imagination.

This dish was inspired by the Food & Wine, January 2012 issue that I stole from my mom over Christmas break (SORRY MOM). It was perfect. I had all the ingredients at home and even a bit more to add. The recipe was created by Madhur Jafferey (NPR INTERVIEW) in the article 'American Icons'*.

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 Jalapenos, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
3 pounds Swiss chard- rinsed, stems cut into 1/2-inch pieves, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons
Salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

In a large, deep skillet, heat oil. Add the cumin and cook over moderately high heat until slightly darkened, 10 seconds. Add the jalapenos and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the chard leaves and stems with the water that clings to the leaves and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring, until the chard is tender, 12 min. Uncover and cook over high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 minutes.

Add the lemon juice, season the chard with salt and serve.

THE ADDITIONS:

4 Tablespoons of ginger ( I went a bit overboard)
1/4 cup olive oil ( substituted for vegetable oil -just what I had)
1/3 Head of Red Cabbage, cut into 1-inch ribbons (substituted for 1 pound of swiss chard)
1/2 Spanish Onion, julienned
2 1/2 Cups Organic Arugula (substituted for some of the Swiss chard)
1 Store bought pie crust
1 Egg
Pepper

PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY KAITLYN MCQUAID
PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY KAITLYN MCQUAID

ADDITIONS

1.  Simply added onions with the jalapenos and ginger.
2. Cabbage was added same time as the chard.
3. Added some pepper about  2 teaspoons.
4. Arugula was added 5 mins before the chard is completely cooked.
6. Let dish drain.
7. Places pie crust on baking sheet and put purple char mixture in the middle. Stacked it high (used about 2/3) and then folded the edged to just about the middle.
8. Paint the pie crust with an egg wash.
8. Baked open pie at 300 degrees for about 20 to 30 mins. Just so the top is golden brown.
9. Squeeze on some lemon and Enjoy!

* Interviews by Daniel Gritzer, Food Photographs by John Jernick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...